Skip Navigation

Academic Policies and Procedures

Advanced Standing
Auditing a Course
Change of Grade
Correspondence Courses
Course Substitutions
Credit by Examination
Undergraduate Credit/No Credit Policy
Prior Learning Assessment Credit
Non-Degree Courses
Undergraduate Appeal Process
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
Grade Grievance Policy
Incomplete and Deferred Grade
Recomputation of Grade Point
Undergraduate Repeat Course Policy
Transfer Credit Policy
Student Initiated Withdrawals from the University
Involuntary Withdrawals
Individual Class Drops/Withdrawals
Withdrawal to Enter Military Service
Policies concerning Majors and Minors

Advanced Standing

Advanced Placement Program (AP)
College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
International Baccalaureate
Proficiency Examination Program (PEP)

International Baccalaureate, and PEP examinations. CMU has selected the scores necessary for credit with a primary concern that students receiving credit will have sufficient preparation for subsequent coursework in the area of study. Thus, scores required by CMU may be higher than minimum recommended levels for other organizations

In the following list, each approved AP examination is paired with the CMU course in which credit is granted for a minimum score of three. The courses on this list have been approved by individual academic departments and are subject to change. Art (General Studio) - three hours Art credit; Art (History) - ART 185; Biology - BIO 101; Calculus AB - MTH 132 or MTH 136; Calculus BC - MTH 132 and MTH 133; Chemistry - CHM 131; Computer Science A - CPS 180; Computer Science AB - CPS 181; Cultures of the World -GEO 121; English Language and Composition OR English Composition and Literature - ENG 101; Government and Politics (U.S.) - PSC 105; Government and Politics (Comparative) - PSC 242; Physics B - PHY 130 and 131; Physics C (Part I)* - PHY 145, Physics C (Part II)* - PHY 146; Psychology - PSY 100, Statistics - STA 282. Students earning a four or five on the statistics exam will receive credit for STA 382. Students will receive credit for the history examinations as follows: History (American): HST 111 (score of four), HST 111 and 112 (score of five); History (European): HST 102 (score of four), HST 101 and 102 (score of five). Students passing the French, German, Latin, or Spanish Language examination receive credit in the 201 course for a score of three, both the 201 and 202 courses for a score of four, and ten to twelve hours at the 200 level for a score of five.

Credit may be earned in ENG 101 for a score at or above the 50th percentile on the CLEP English Composition General Examination with Essay when the test is passed before the end of the student’s first semester at a college or university. The following list includes approved CLEP subject examination and the CMU course in which credit can be granted: American Government - PSC 105; Analysis and Interpretation of Literature - ENG 134; Calculus with Elementary Functions - MTH 132; College Algebra - MTH 107; English Literature - ENG 235 and 236; General Biology - BIO 101; General Chemistry - CHM 131 (plus CHM 132 if score is at or above 85th percentile); Introduction to Management - MGT 312; Introductory Psychology - PSY 100; Introductory Accounting - ACC 201; Introductory Sociology - SOC 100; Principles of Marketing - MKT 300; Trigonometry - MTH 106. Additionally, the College French, German or Spanish (Levels 1 and 2) examinations may be used to gain credit in French, German or Spanish courses numbered 101, 102, 201, OR 202, General credit may also be earned for scores at or above the 50th percentile on the CLEP Humanities General examination and/or the CLEP Social Sciences and History examination.*

Credit earned through the CLEP Humanities General Examination and the CLEP Social Sciences-History General Examination may NOT be used to satisfy University Program requirements.

Three hours credit in ENG 101 will be granted for a score of four or higher on the International Baccalaureate English, Language A examination at either the higher or the subsidiary level.

Credit may be earned in GEL 101 for a score at the eightieth percentile on the PEP Physical Geology examination.

Further information on the CLEP program is available in the Computer-based and Placement Testing Center, located in the lower level of Robinson Food Commons. Contact Undergraduate Academic Services, Warriner Hall, for information concerning AP, PEP, and the International Baccalaureate.

*See CBPTC for an updated list of cutoff scores on individual exams.

Top of Page

Auditing a Course
A CMU student interested in taking an undergraduate course on an audit basis must obtain, prior to registration, the approval of the department chairperson offering the course. An Approval to Audit Request Card, signed by the student and the department chairperson, must be filed in the registrar’s office or Student Services Court by Friday of the third week of class.

No credit is granted for a course being audited, but such credit as the course normally would carry is included as part of the student’s total load, and fees are assessed accordingly. No change from regular registration to audit, or from audit to regular registration is permitted after the published deadlines.

The student’s responsibility to the class being audited is determined by the department chairperson and the instructor of the class.

Top of Page

Change of Grade
A request to change a grade may be requested by an instructor by filing a "Change of Grade Request Card" with the chairperson of the department. The chairperson will forward the request to the dean of the college.

Requests for change of grade involving error by an instructor --such as error in recording grade, transpositional error, error in transferring grade to Final Grade List, miscalculation, computational error, error in scoring final exam, test or assignment grade not recorded, papers misplaced by instructor and found after grade was recorded, error in graduate assistant or lab assistant reporting grade to grading instructor, or instructor forgetting that a student had been promised an "I" grade--shall be processed by the Office of the Registrar without any action by a school Change of Grade Committee.

All other requests for change of grade are to be submitted by the dean to the College Change of Grade Committee. If the request is approved, the chairperson of the committee or the appropriate dean forwards the card to the Office of the Registrar for processing.

"Change of Grade Request Cards" may be obtained by faculty members from either the department chairperson or the registrar’s office.

Top of Page

Correspondence Courses
Completed correspondence courses carry the same amount of credit and points as those taken on campus.

Correspondence credit may not apply toward requirements for a continuing certificate, renewal of a provisional certificate, or conversion of a provisional or continuing certificate. A maximum of 15 semester hours of correspondence credit may be applied toward a baccalaureate degree. Semester hours earned through correspondence courses do not apply to meet any of the hours required in residence.

Top of Page

Course Substitution
Every student is expected to take the required work prescribed for the degree plan he or she is following. It is sometimes necessary, however, to make substitutions, especially in the case of students who have not been in attendance for several years or who have transferred from other colleges. The following govern such deviations:

Degree Substitution. Substitution for a specific course prescribed on a particular degree, except as noted below, will be processed only when (1) approved by the chairperson of the department offering the course and (2) certified by the chairperson to the registrar on an Application for Substitution form. No substitution may be made for courses comprising the University Program or competency requirements portions of the student’s degree requirements.

Top of Page

Change In Authorization for Major or Minor. Change of a required course on an authorized major or minor will be processed only (1) when approved by the student’s departmental advisor who previously signed the authorization, and (2) when certified by the advisor to the registrar on a "Change in Authorization for Major or Minor" form. The departmental chairperson shall authorize changes in the absence of the departmental advisor.

Substitution and change of authorization forms are available at the registrar’s office.

Top of Page

Credit by Examination
A regularly matriculated student who has had experience or background comparable to a course at this university may file for Credit by Examination in a specific CMU course under the following conditions:

  1. No credit transferable to CMU has been earned in the course requested by examination.
  2. No advanced placement had been given for the course requested by examination.
  3. No higher level course in that subject area was taken prior to requesting credit by examination.
  4. Credit by examination may not be used to repeat any course previously taken, either to remove a failure or to improve a grade, as provided in the Repeat Course Policy.
  5. Credit by Examination is not available by Credit/No Credit Option. The only class where Credit/No Credit is a valid grade by exam is a class that is only offered on the CR/NC basis.

"Credit by Examination" forms are available in the Office of the Registrar, Warriner Hall. The form is then to be submitted to the appropriate department chairperson. If the department chairperson approves the course for credit by examination, an instructor will be assigned to give the examination and the student will be directed to pay for the course and submit the approved form to the Office of the Registrar.

Credit by Examination when graded carries point values as do other courses. Credit by Examination in courses offered only on the CR/NC basis do not carry point values and count only as earned hours. Semester hours earned by Credit by Examination do not apply to meet any of the hours required in residence. It is possible to earn credit for prior learning. For further information, contact the Academic Senate office, 201 Bovee University Center, 774-3350.

Top of Page

Undergraduate Credit/No Credit Policy
An undergraduate student may take courses on a Credit/No Credit basis subject to regulations summarized here. The option is elected by submitting an Undergraduate Credit/No Credit Request Card to the Registrar's Office before the published deadline.

The instructor is not notified when a course is taken credit/no credit and so assigns the student a letter grade. The grade is automatically converted to credit or no credit according to the following guidelines. The student earns credit (CR) for the course and credit toward graduation when a grade of C or better is assigned. No credit (NC) is earned when the assigned grade is C-, D+, D, D-, or E. The course appears on the student’s permanent record with the CR or NC grade, but the grade has no effect on the grade point average.

Departments designate which of their courses may be taken on a credit/no credit basis and whether such credit may be applied to a major or a minor. A department may offer certain courses exclusively on a credit/no credit basis after approval by the appropriate curricular authorities and publication in the University Bulletin.

A maximum of 25 semester hours of credit earned under the credit/no credit option may be applied toward an undergraduate degree. Courses exclusively offered on this basis are not included in the 25-hour restriction. Students may not take more than two courses or 7 hours for credit/no credit in the University Program.

Procedures and deadlines for registering for courses on a credit/no credit basis can be found in the current Class Schedule booklet. A student who officially elects the credit/no credit option for a course may not change the registration to a letter grade designation after the deadline.

Regulations for graduate credit/no credit offerings are to be found in the Bulletin of the College of Graduate Studies.
Top of Page

Prior Learning Assessment Credit
Undergraduate students may apply for credit for past personal and professional experiences which have resulted in the attainment of college-level competencies. Academic credit may be awarded for learning resulting from career and personal experiences; job-related activities; extensive hobbies, travel and foreign residency; community service; and training received through on-the-job instruction, self-study, or specialized schooling. To be applied to a program plan, prior learning must be directly related to the degree being pursued. Credit from prior learning may not be used to meet any University Program or Competency requirement. For more information, contact the Prior Learning Assessment secretary at 774-7126.
Top of Page

Non-Degree Courses
Courses numbered (DESIGNATOR) 589 - Professional Development (1-6) do not apply to degree requirements. These courses cover selected issues designed for professional development, in-service training to meet specific staff development needs in education, business/industry, allied health, technology, and other professional settings. They are not applicable to degree requirements.
Top of Page

Undergraduate Appeal Process
An undergraduate student may request a review of the following through an appeal:

  1. Course substitution or other modification of the University Program and competency requirements
  2. Individual course transfer
  3. Extension of bulletin
  4. Graduation or degree requirements

Information concerning filing an appeal is available through the Academic Senate Office located in the Bovee UC 108.

Top of Page

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their educational records. They are:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student's educational records within 45 days of the date the University receives a request for access.

    Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

  2. The right to request the amendment of the student's educational records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student's privacy rights.

    Students may ask the University to amend a record they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identifying the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.

    If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedure will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's educational records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosures without consent.

    One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to University officials with legitimate educational interest and/or needs to review an educational record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. A University official for the purpose of this policy is defined as follows:
    • members of the faculty;
    • members of the professional, executive, and administrative staff, excluding any member of the Central Michigan University Police Department;
    • students, when properly appointed as members of a hearing panel or screening committee;
    • representatives of the State Auditor General when performing their legal function;
    • a person or company with whom the University has contracted (e.g. attorney, auditor, or collection agent) but limited to only the specific student information needed to fulfill their contract;
    • others as designated in writing by the President, a University Vice President, or Dean.

    Upon request, the University discloses educational records without a student's consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks to enroll.

    Another exception which permits disclosure without consent is when the information consists solely of "Directory Information." Directory information may be published or released by University faculty and staff at their discretion. Unless a student specifically directs otherwise, as explained more fully in paragraph (4) below, Central Michigan University designates all of the following categories of information about its students as "Directory Information":
    1. name, campus address, home address, telephone listing, and campus e-mail;
    2. state of residence;
    3. age, date, and place of birth;
    4. major field of study, including the college, department, or program in which the student is enrolled;
    5. classification as a freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, or graduate student;
    6. participation in officially recognized activities and sports;
    7. weight and height of members of athletic teams;
    8. dates of attendance and graduation, and degrees received;
    9. the most recent educational institution attended;
    10. honors and awards received, including selection to the Dean's or President's list, honorary organization, or the GPA range for the selection.
  4. A student has the right to refuse the designation of all categories of personally identifiable information listed above (a. through j.) as Directory Information. If a student exercises this right, it will mean that no Directory Information pertaining to the student will be published or otherwise released to third parties without consent, a court order, or a subpoena.

    Any student wishing to exercise this right must inform the Registrar's Office in writing by the end of Phase II registration regarding the withholding of all categories of personally identifiable information with respect to that student. Once a student has requested the withholding of information, "Directory Information" will be withheld until one year after the student's last attendance at the University. Students who do not attend the University for a period of one year will need to file a new request at their return if they wish to reinstate the withholding of directory information.
  5. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Central Michigan University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

    Family Policy Compliance Office
    U.S. Department of Education
    600 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC 20202-4605
    Top of Page

Grade Grievance Policy

  1. The university recognizes that it is the instructor’s prerogative to determine a grade. Responsibility for resolving grading disputes is shared among the instructor, the student, the department, and the college. If a question is raised by a student concerning a grade, the instructor should discuss the matter willingly and give evidence to make clear his/her basis for determining the grade. (In turn, the student should recognize the need to demonstrate a valid basis for complaint). At any time, either upon the student inquiry or upon his/her own initiative, the instructor who believes a change of grade is justified may initiate a request for a change in grade.
  2. A student who desires discussion of a complaint about a grade shall contact the instructor or if the instructor is unavailable, the department chairperson, either in person or in writing as soon as possible, but in no case later than sixty days after the beginning of the next regular semester. Any exception to the time limitation shall be for unusual and most compelling reasons. Ordinarily, the student should accept the instructor’s decision. However, if the student is still not satisfied, he/she may request in writing a joint consultation with the instructor and the chairperson of the department involved. In case the student’s request for joint consultation involves an instructor who is also chairperson of the department, the student’s request in writing should be sent to the dean of the school or college involved. In such cases, the dean shall act in place of the department chairperson.
  3. The following procedures are available for review of allegations of capricious grading. They are not for review of the judgment of an instructor in assessing the quality of a student’s work, nor are they to be used in cases involving academic dishonesty. Determination of the grade in such cases is left solely to the instructor. A student who is not satisfied after consultation with the instructor and department chairperson, and who alleges that the semester grade is the result of capricious grading may file an appeal within ninety days of the start of the next regular semester to the dean of the instructor’s college for forwarding to the College Committee on Review of Change of Grade. The student shall file the appeal by submitting a written statement particularizing the basis for the allegation that the grade was the result of capricious grading, and present any evidence he/she may have.

    Capricious grading, as that term is used herein, constitutes any of the following: (a) the assignment of a grade to a particular student on some basis other than his/her performance in the course; (b) the assignment of a grade to a particular student to resort to more exacting or demanding standards than were applied to other students in that course. It is understood that standards for graduate credit may be different from standards for undergraduate credit; (c) the assignment of a grade by a substantial departure from the instructor’s previously announced standards.
  4. The appeal shall be dismissed if: (a) the appeal was not timely; (b) the < allegations, if true, would not constitute capricious grading; or (c) the student has not attempted to confer with the instructor or chairperson of the department. If the appeal is not dismissed, the committee1 shall submit a copy of the student’s written statement to the instructor of the course with a request that the instructor promptly submit a written response thereto, a copy of which shall be made available to the student. If, upon the basis of these papers, it appears that the dispute may be attributable to inadequate or incomplete communication between the parties, the committee may arrange to meet individually or together with the student and instructor to discuss the problem.
  5. If such a meeting is not held or, if held, such meeting does not result in a mutually agreeable solution, the committee shall proceed to hold a fact-finding session concerning the allegations set forth in the appeal. Both the student and the instructor shall be entitled to be present throughout the session and to present any relevant evidence, including testimony by other persons. The student and the instructor both may be accompanied by a person to assist them in presenting evidence. The session shall not be open to the public.
  6. At the close of the session, the committee shall deliberate privately. If a majority find the allegations of capricious grading to be supported by substantial evidence, the committee shall proceed to determine the most appropriate remedy. The committee may direct the instructor to grade the student’s work anew or to give the student a new examination in the course, or may take such other action as will bring about substantial justice in the individual case. However, except in the most extraordinary circumstances, the committee itself should not award the student a new grade in the course. The decision of the committee shall be final and shall be reported in writing to the student, instructor, and the departmental office.
  7. The College Committee on Review of Change of Grade may also resolve complaints involving suspected violation of grading policies for incomplete and deferred grades, dropping a class, or withdrawal from the university. The same procedures as outlined above for review of alleged capricious grading shall be followed .

If the instructor of the course is a member of the Committee, he/she shall be disqualified from the consideration of that appeal.

Top of Page

Incomplete and Deferred Grade

Incomplete Grade. I (Incomplete) is a temporary grade used by the instructor in cases when a student is unable to complete course requirements because of illness or other justifiable circumstances. It is assigned only in cases in which the student has completed satisfactorily the major portion of the course requirements, and has convinced the instructor of his or her ability to complete the remaining work without re-registering for the course. It is not to be given to a student who is already doing failing work. A form must be completed and signed by the faculty member (and the student, when possible) whenever a grade of I is assigned. The form is to be kept on file in the departmental office. An instructor who assigns a grade of I also submits a formal statement to the department chairperson of requirements to be satisfied for removal of the Incomplete grade. A copy of the statement of requirements, including deadlines for their completion, shall be made available to the student.

It is the student’s responsibility to contact the instructor to make arrangements for completing the remaining work. The required work should be completed and a grade reported by the end of the student’s next semester in residence, but in no case later than one calendar year following the receipt of the I. A student not completing the remaining work by the end of one calendar year following the receipt of an I would retain an I only if the instructor chooses not to change the I to a specific grade ranging from A to E by the end of the calendar year. An I (Incomplete) may not be removed by registering again for the course.

If the instructor of the class in which the I was incurred is no longer a member of the faculty, the student should contact the department chairperson, who shall act on behalf of the former instructor.

Exceptions to these regulations can be made only when requested by the student and approved by the instructor or the department chairperson and the dean of the college, and certified by the dean of the college to the registrar.

Deferred Grade. The Z (deferred grade) may be recorded for students registered for independent study, for thesis, International Program Studies courses, or for other courses specifically approved for Z grades in the Bulletin, if the instructor believes that the quality and quantity of work completed by the end of the semester justifies an extension of time. An instructor who assigns a grade of Z shall submit, on the proper form, a statement to the department chairperson of remaining requirements for removal of the deferred grade. A copy of the statement of requirements, including deadlines for their completion, shall be made available to the student.

Top of Page

Recomputation of Grade Point Average
An undergraduate student may petition for recomputation of his or her cumulative grade point average if:

  1. the student has not attended CMU or any other institution for four or more consecutive years, and
  2. the student re-enrolls after his or her matriculation was canceled or after withdrawing voluntarily with a cumulative grade point average under 2.00 (academic probation).

A petition form for recomputation may be obtained from the Academic Assistance Programs office. This policy may apply to students presently enrolled at CMU.

If the petition is approved, all courses taken will remain on the permanent record. Those courses with grades of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, or CR will be counted for credit only. The student resumes his or her academic program at CMU with no cumulative grade-point average, and thereafter is subject to the conditions of probation and dismissal that govern all students. A student may not graduate from Central Michigan University under this policy unless he/she earns at least 12 semester hours of credit at this institution after the recomputation has been granted.

Top of Page

Undergraduate Repeat Course Policy
Undergraduate students may repeat a course, but the following conditions apply:

  1. A student may repeat a course in which they have earned a grade of A though E. All grades will appear on the transcript, but only the last grade received will be utilized in computing cumulative hours and G.P.A.
  2. A student may not repeat a course on the CR/NC grading option.
  3. If the designator or the course number has changed since the student’s previous attempt, the student is encouraged to complete a Repeat Course Request card with the Registrar’s Office by the deadline date. This will ensure that the repeat will be noted and will be included in the current semester calculations.
  4. A student repeating a CMU course at another college/university must earn a higher grade than their original attempt for the course to transfer. Honor points will not transfer but the previous CMU honors points will be removed in computing the average.
  5. A course taken after a student graduates will not change the previously attempted grade or credit hours.
  6. A student is limited to 3 attempts of a course. This includes repeats where they have earned a grade of A through E, or attempts where they were awarded grades of CR, NC, I, W, Z, or X.
  7. This limitation does not apply to independent study and similar courses for which course content varies significantly with each offering. (Often these are courses with variable credit hours.).
  8. For exceptions to this limitation policy, a student may appeal to the chairperson of the department offering the course.

Top of Page

A student desiring an official transcript of his or her record from this university should submit a written, hand-signed request to the Office of the Registrar, CMU, 212 Warriner Hall, Mt. Pleasant, Ml 48859. Letter requests should include name, address, daytime phone number, Social Security number, dates of attendance, birth date, and, if a graduate, the date of graduation. The request should also include the complete name and address of where the transcript is to be sent. There is no charge for a transcript. (Note: If a student has an undergraduate and graduate record, both will be sent). No transcript will be released without written authorization of the student. We will accept transcript requests via FAX, however, we are unable to FAX out a transcript. Our FAX number is (989) 774-3783.

Ordinarily, transcripts are processed in one to three days. Priority service is available by specifically requesting the priority service and paying an $8.00 priority charge. Priority requests will be prepared in time for the next outgoing mail. Priority transcripts requested in person will be prepared immediately.

Students may request that official transcripts be sent directly to them, but most businesses and educational institutions will accept as official only those transcripts sent directly to them by the issuing institution. Official transcripts sent directly to the student will be stamped "issued to student."

Transcripts of students with a past due financial obligation to the university are not released until the obligation is paid.

Top of Page

Transfer Credit Policy
I. Transfers from Accredited Schools and Foreign Institutions. Undergraduate courses from another college or university which is accredited by one of the regional institutional accrediting associations or from a foreign university or college approved by the government or the official regulating agency of the country in which the university or college is located will be considered for transfer credit at Central Michigan University, subject to the following conditions: a.) Courses must be germane to a program at Central Michigan University, b.) Transferable courses completed with a grade of C- or better will be accepted.  For credit from institutions that have numeric grades only, you may contact Undergraduate Academic Services (989-774-3504) to verify the minimum grade required for transfer, c.) Credits from foreign institutions will be accepted using the guidelines developed by the World Education Series of American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, and in consultation with affected departments, d.) Grades and honor or quality points are not transferable to or recorded on the CMU permanent record, e.) Acceptability of transfer course work to fulfill CMU major or minor requirements is at the discretion of the individual department.

II. Transfers from Non-Accredited Schools. A student who has earned credit or a baccalaureate degree from an institution which is not accredited by one of the regional accrediting associations may appeal through the Board of Appeals who may consult with the individual departments for an exception to the above policy for up to a maximum of 62 credits. Before accepting such credit for transfer credit consideration, the Board of Appeals will consult with the individual departments. If a positive decision results, transfer credit may then be granted subject to the same conditions that apply to transfers from accredited schools.

III. Exceptions. Academic units may request an exception to the Regional Accreditation portion of this policy from the Degrees, Admissions, Standards and Honors Committee.

IV. Military Training and Experience.

  1. Military Service School Experiences. Granting of academic credit for military service school experiences will be guided by the evaluations prepared by the American Council of Education and published in the “Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services.” All Military Service School experiences that are recommended for undergraduate level credit will transfer to Central Michigan University. Acceptability of credit for military service school experiences to fulfill CMU major or minor requirements is at the discretion of the individual department.
  2. Military Occupational Specialties. Granting of academic credit for military occupational specialties will be guided by the evaluations prepared by the American Council of Education and published in the “Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services.” All Military Occupational Specialties that are recommended for undergraduate level credit will transfer to Central Michigan University. Acceptability of credit for military occupational specialties to fulfill CMU major or minor requirements is at the discretion of the individual department.
  3. Service Member Opportunity College (SOC) courses. Undergraduate courses from another college or university that is recognized as a Service Member opportunity College institution for either the army (SOCAD), navy (SOCNAV), or marine corps (SOCMAR) will transfer to Central Michigan University subject to the following conditions: a) the student seeking the transfer of credit is an active or reserve military service member or the immediate family member of a service member; b) transferable courses completed with a grade of C- or better or the equivalent will be accepted; c) grades and honor points or quality points are not transferable to or recorded on the CMU permanent record; d) course work is taken after the issuance of a Student Agreement by Central Michigan University. The Student Agreement is a record of all of the student’s prior learning (including military experience) and where that learning fits into his or her degree plan.

V. Non-military Training Experiences. Granting of academic credit for selected training experiences offered outside the sponsorship of colleges and universities will be guided by the evaluations prepared by the American Council on Education's PONSI program (ACE/PONSI). ACE/PONSI credit recommendations appear in the publication entitled The National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs.

VI. The MACRAO Articulation Agreement. A person who transfers from a community college in Michigan with a transcript documented as having satisfied the MACRAO Agreement, will also have satisfied the University Program portion of the General Education Requirements section at CMU. All other students may refer to the General Education Requirements in this Bulletin for guidelines on the applicability of their transfer credit toward University Program requirements.

VII International Baccalaureate Credit. Courses within the International Baccalaureate Diploma and the International Baccalaureate Certificate for individual courses may be accepted as transfer credit on a course by course basis if the higher level examinations have been passed with a score of four or better.
Top of Page

Student Initiated Withdrawals from the University
A student withdrawing from the university without having completed the courses for which he or she is registered may do so at any time prior to the final week of regular classes of a semester or session by filing an application for Withdrawal at the Office of the Registrar.

The Office of the Registrar will attempt to verify the reason for withdrawal, determine the effective date of the withdrawal and then process the withdrawal.

A student will automatically receive W’s as an indicator of withdrawal through the tenth week of the Fall or Spring Semester or through the midpoint of all courses shorter than one semester.

The Office of the Registrar will process the withdrawal from the university, process the "automatic W" and notify each faculty member promptly.

Students withdrawing from the university between the tenth week and the Friday of the 14th week of semester courses will receive W’s for passing work of D- or better and E’s for failing work. For short courses, students withdrawing from the university between the midpoint and two class days prior to the end of the course will receive W’s for passing work of D- or better and E’s for failing work. During this period, students enrolled in a CR/NC only course will receive W’s for passing work of C- or better and E (which is converted to NC) for failing work.

During this period from the tenth week to Friday of the 14th week, the Withdrawal Request Card will be forwarded to the instructors for assignment of W or E by the Records Office along with the notification of withdrawal. Each instructor will return the form to the Office of the Registrar after assigning the grade and signing the form.

In cases involving academic dishonesty, the determination of the grade shall be left to the discretion of the instructor.

If an instructor refuses to sign the card, or is not available, an appeal may be made to the department chairperson. This policy does not supersede the policy above.

No student may withdraw from the university during the week preceding final examination week.

A student following the above procedures may receive certain refunds, if eligible, in accordance with university regulations.

A student leaving the university without filing a withdrawal form will not be eligible for refunds and will not be eligible for a "W."

Top of Page

Involuntary Withdrawal
Students who are dismissed for administrative or disciplinary reasons or students who owe past due amounts may be subject to involuntary withdrawal from classes and will receive a "W" for each class as an indicator of withdrawal. In addition, students living in residence halls with a past due balance may have their meals and long distance telephone privileges discontinued until their accounts are brought to a current status. Any delinquencies in the Family Housing Apartments may result in the initiation of eviction proceedings.

University staff will counsel students who appear to be suffering from a mental disorder to assist them in functioning effectively within the university environment. The Dean of Students or designee may refer a student who appears to be suffering from a mental disorder to the Behavioral Evaluation Team when the student:

  1. engages, or threatens to engage, in behavior which poses a danger of causing physical harm to self or others, or
  2. engages, or threatens to engage, in behavior which would cause significant property damage, or directly and substantially impedes the lawful activities of others.

Referral to the Behavioral Evaluation Team does not preclude removal from the university, or university housing, in accordance with provisions of the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Disciplinary Procedures and/or the Housing Agreement. A student referred to the Behavioral Evaluation Team shall be notified in writing, and shall be given a copy of the Administrative Procedures for Behavioral Evaluation Team. Copies are also available in the Office of Student Life, University Center 111.

Top of Page

Individual Class Drops / Withdrawals
Information on dropping a class or withdrawing from a class appears in the Registration section of this Bulletin.

Top of Page

Withdrawal to Enter Military Service
A graduate or undergraduate student who is drafted or recalled to military service after previous active duty may be entitled to receive (a) credit for the semester, (b) refund of fees, or (c) partial credit and partial refund, according to the following conditions:

  1. The student who is unable to complete the first half of a session shall be entitled to a full refund of fees.
  2. The student who has completed the first half or more of a given session may receive credit or partial credit and proportional refund of fees.

The student shall apply at the registrar’s office for confirmation of his or her eligibility to receive credit. The registrar shall advise the student concerning withdrawal, refund, or credit procedures.

If the registrar confirms eligibility for credit, the student may present the confirmation to the appropriate academic dean. The academic dean, the chairperson of the department in which the student is enrolled, and the instructor of the class shall determine the amount of credit which has been earned. The academic dean reports the amount which has been earned, in writing, to the registrar and the instructor shall submit the appropriate grade at the end of the semester.

Students who enlist or volunteer for military service during the session must withdraw from the university according to regular withdrawal and refund procedures.

Top of Page